Thursday, November 29, 2007

Grey Cup, Moving and Goodbye

Listening to: We Will Rock You - Queen
Writing This: quickly
Weather: Cold

Spent most of last week and all of last weekend at the Grey Cup festival in Toronto (NO I am not one of those face-painted uber-fans who go around yelling "RIDER PRIDE" and "GO BOMBERS" at the top of their lungs at all hours of the day and night (I was part of the crew interviewing said louts).

For a video sample go to http://www.nissan.ca/en/general/cfl%5Fpromo/rogue_revealed/

I was working for Nissan gathering "Rogue-ish moments" from festival goers. The people with the best stories were invited to become contestants for a game show and win Weber BBQs, CFL swag or a Campbell's Chunky soup gift bucket.

What struck me was the camaraderie among the fans. Everyone seemed to be having a good time no matter what team they supported. Fans were in evidence proudly sporting jerseys from all 8 CFL teams (and even defunct teams like the Baltimore Stallions). There was even a cheerleading squad from the Atlantic Schooners. Never heard of them? That's because they don't exist. They have cheerleaders and no team! (now THAT'S Canadian...) I wonder if it's the same atmosphere at the festivities surrounding the Superbowl? Do Cowboys fans sit down to beers with CheeseHeads? Do the Lions lie down with the Rams? If their teams were the opposing teams in the game? I somehow doubt it. And don't even mention European football (AKA soccer). At the World Cup, opposing fans are kept on opposite sides of the city for fear that there will be riots (at best) or knifings or worse. English fans are routinely denied admission to countries hosting World Cup events because of their reputation for hooliganism. Can you imagine that happening in Canada? Barring those rowdy Edmonton Eskimo fans? Wouldn't happen.

This weekend I am moving my daughter, Meaghan, and her family to Ottawa from Toronto. This will be the third move in just over one month. Chrystal left for BC at the beginning of the month, Craig changed apartments in the middle of the month and now Meaghan. I'm thinking of opening a moving business and actually getting paid for this (kidding). I do have lots of experience moving however... My family moved around an awful lot when I was younger. My mother and I sat down once and figured out that I had gone to 12 schools in 12 years (one year 3 schools!)

My family's philosophy on moving seemed to be "do it early and do it often". We had a strategy on moving objects. If we hadn't seen it or physically touched it in 6 months then out it went in a big yard sale. We were each given a big box that we could stuff with whatever personal possessions we wanted to keep and then everything else was fair game to be disposed of. It has had the effect of giving me a very shallow attachment to material things (they could all be disposed of at a moments notice) but also, sadly, a very shallow attachment to people.

I don’t like goodbyes (at least not long ones) I much prefer to say a quick “Goodbye” then off I go. Some folks say very elaborate good bye’s when going to the bathroom!

So…Goodbye

1 comment:

AmyDeCorte said...

Tod, I can actually relate very much to the attachment issue. Seeing as I too moved around a lot and have never stayed in a place more than 3 years, I find that it is very hard to keep friends. Once I have moved on from a job or a city, I tend to do just that - move on. However, in the past year I have found that I have suddenly developed a bond with some people that I can't imagine living without. They make me feel better, look at life in a different way, accept defeat graciously, and victory with humbleness. One of these people, funnily enough, is a fellow Bombers fan (GO Bombers, GO!) who was at the Grey Cup and when I got to see him between the events, it was a reminder of what is important to me - friends, family (oh and the Bombers!)